September 22, 2012

Random Soapbox for Saturday 9/22/12

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ..

... although I'm spending most of my vacation relaxing and trying to dodge the rain for the few hours of sun I can find during the day, I do have three bones to pick regarding my Floridian retail experiences.

Bone #1:  I get the concept of an upsell (remember, I once worked at McDonald's and asked some version of "do you want fries with that" many many times).  But you, lady behind the counter at the airport newsstand, clearly do not.  When I'm picking up a newspaper and a coke, you should not randomly ask me to buy the local team's sports wallet.  And when I politely decline, you should not then ask me if I want to purchase the randomly placed dress socks at the counter.  And when I don't take you up on that offer, you should not try a third time to get me to spend more money by suggesting a map of NYC.  Instead, you should have seen my round face, and suggested maybe something like candy or chocolate to add to my purchase.

Bone #2:  I don't know what level of pretentiousness calls for valet parking at the mall, but if you are going to offer it at every opening, you can at least provide options for those who are comfortable parking their own vehicles so we can find the garage instead of being forced down dead-end roads filled with valet only options.  I want to come in and spend my money, but I can't do it if I can't find the way in.

Bone #3:  Mr. Auntie Anne's man, when I point to the sign and say that's what I want to order, you should give me what is on it.  It took three times to get you to make the frozen lemonade/blue raspberry concoction.  (First you made the non frozen blue raspberry flavored lemonade, and then a frozen blue raspberry only drink without the lemonade).  And you should not have been so shocked when I picked up the sign and handed it to you and said loudly "make it look like this".  Plus you shouldn't have told me that I needed to be more specific when I ordered.  You sell the stuff -- and it was your sign to which I pointed in the first place!

Okay, now I feel better.  And, as I hit the midway point of vacation, maybe it's time for a drink that has some alcohol in it ...

FRF, FIX IT!:
http://www.frf.org/

FROZEN LEMONADE MIXER IS WHAT WAS ON THE SIGN:
http://www.auntieannes.com/products/drinks.aspx

THIS LADY APPARENTLY AGREES WITH ME (EXCEPT SHE'S IN COLORADO):
http://bananadeath.blogspot.com/2008/12/valet-parking-at-mall.html

No comments:

Post a Comment