July 1, 2012

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 7/1/12

What Chicago and Indy and the Ohio Valley (and beyond) are talking about this week:

... yet another deadly weekend Derecho.

It woke me up from an afternoon nap when it blew through Indy (as it blew the 11th floor windows open), and I drove through its tail end yesterday, dodging (that's an unintentional pun, but I do have a Caliber ...) limbs and major road puddles between the Skyway and LSD.

And I say "another ... Derecho" because once I started doing some online research and found out that it was indeed a "land hurricane" that was responsible for all this damage, I remembered that I had just learned that word last year.  Since this blog is now powered by google search, I was able to find out that it was about this same time last year (July 11, 2011) that I first learned about this particular type of weather phenomenon.

My thoughts go out to all those who are still dealing with the aftereffects ... and, on another note, 173 days remain until the Mayan Apocalypse (not that the back to back derechos are a sign of an impending end of the world or anything ...)

THE LAND HURRICANE THAT DID SO MUCH DAMAGE THIS PAST WEEKEND:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/06/30/156047359/a-land-hurricane-strikes-states-from-midwest-to-east-new-storms-predicted

REALLY IT's DERECHO PLUS AN AMAZING HEAT WAVE:
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/07/02/derecho-storm-system-leaves-millions-without-power-as-heat-wave-persists/

NOW I'M GOING TO USE THIS WORD ALL THE TIME:
http://www.xyzweather.com/derecho




No comments:

Post a Comment