July 2, 2012

Random Memorial for Monday 7/2/12

Gone but not forgotten:  my virtual "puppy" of the last 1063 days named Zoe.

The technical explanation appears to be that Facebook changed it's HTML or FDBL font or FGS stuff (or something that I didn't quite capture and that someone else probably understands better than I), so the "social" game MY PUPPY had to close.  Actually, it had to morph into something new -- as of today, clicking on it just pulls up this creepiness (without any other instructions):  "Talk to me - I am lonely. The more you talk to me, the more I will learn."


Part of me wants the clean break -- the game was very psychological manipulative.  From the comments, it seemed that many people chose to play as a way to deal with the grief of having lost actual pets (and, as kooky as this may sound, I chose the name Zoe after Demon was in one of my dreams playing with a companion named Zoe -- Demon was my puppy dog, put down in 2008 after a good long life, and he often visits my dreams, so analyze that if you will ...) but the old game was all into how you will kill your virtual dog if you don't press the right buttons for food and play and going to the bank in some Skinner-esque update for the FB generation.


Of course, in the game makers' truest tactic of manipulation, they salvaged that picture for the new version of the game.  And it's hard to resist that listed Staffordshire's face.  But the twisted part of me suspects that it might be a clone and that my real virtual Zoe perished in the HTML or FDBL or FGS issues and that this is really some (Zoe') that I don't really know.


Zoe, my Facebook Puppy, you will be missed (unless I cave in and play the new game and it turns out you weren't cloned and you do still exist in your original virtual format).

WHO KNEW ... THEY WERE "CHEATS" TO THIS GAME:
http://vgstrategies.about.com/u/ua/facebookgames/MyPuppy.htm

OH THE FACEBOOK DRAMA (ABOUT WHICH I DON'T UNDERSTAND):
http://cegamers.com/cegamers/why-did-facebook-attack-fgs-a-logic-thought/

DREAM INTERPRETATIONS:
http://www.kajama.com/index.php?file=articledetail&id=8FB26409-92D4-4D55-83D6-692340B16188&PageNum=1

No comments:

Post a Comment