June 30, 2012

Random Soapbox for Saturday 6/30/12

I don't mean to go off on a rave here, but ...

[... June almost got away from me without a rave to balance my usual Saturday ranting ...]

... kudos to Ken Nedimyer for all of his work to protect and restore the coral reefs.  I first learned about their annihilation when visiting Biscayne National Park near Miami at the beginning of this year.  But I only heard of him today, as I was dozing off to an afternoon old person's nap (possibly brought on due to a binge drinking spell in Pawnee-opolis, my new nickname for Indy), and as CNN called out my last name and woke me up (to be clear, it is pronounced the same but not spelled the same -- but one will find many different spellings of my last name, a situation I put squarely on the shoulders of whomever managed those processors at Ellis Island  as they did not enforce quality control standards in their bookkeeping).

After a brief moment of panic and an even more brief mental health self-evaluation (after all, one of the common reports of schizophrenics is how they hear the TV talked directly to them), I stayed awake long enough to hear his story.  And we need more "Nedimyer/Neidermyer/Niedermeyer/Neidameyer" positive stories to overcome the pop cultural damage done by what still may be the most famous person to share my last name -- I'm talking about Doug of Animal House fame.

FIND OUT MORE REGARDING CNN HERO KEN'S STORY:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/01/us/cnnheroes-nedimyer-coral-reefs/index.html

AND EVEN MORE:
http://vimeo.com/22972600

"WE DON'T HAVE ANY RECORDS OF FAMOUS PEOPLE NAMED NEIDERMYER":
http://www.ancientfaces.com/research/surname/Neidermyer/neidermyer-family-history-and-family-tree



No comments:

Post a Comment