June 16, 2012

Random Soapbox for Saturday 6/16/12

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... during the long drive last night between Uniontown and Harrisburg, my mind wandered to the oddest spots -- which included this CBS Cares  (well ZBS Cares, due to the broadly played crazy German doctor accent of the actor portraying a busy urologist) promo for getting a prostrate exam once a man hits a certain age (ten years in my future, if the recommendation survives the recent pushback in the press).  To be clear -- I had seen it over and over again while watching various CBS programs on demand prior to this vacation.

And the real reason it sticks in my mind -- this guy announces that he's done 9421 and a half exams.  But he never explains the "half exam".  And for me, who has the perfect storm of twistedness and natural childlike curiosity hard wired into his psyche, I desperately want to know the full backstory of the ... well ... full back (end) story.  In order to proceed with the daily activities of my life and to not be paralyzed with the lack of clarity that was presented, I've decided that it was a non-consensual partial probe in a much too crowded elevator.

But, let's be fair, I really shouldn't be left up to my own devices on this one.  And, stepping back, for a PSA about getting a PSA (ooh -- fun with acronyms), is the mention of a "half exam" off-putting in some way and a counter message of sorts to what they are trying to accomplish?  In my opinion, "ZBS" owes us an explanation.

WATCH IT FOR YOURSELF:


THE "SCIENCE" OF PSAs (PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENTS):

THE "SCIENCE" OF PSAs (PROSTRATE SPECIFIC ANTIGEN):

No comments:

Post a Comment