May 14, 2012

Random Memorial for Monday 5/14/12

Gone but not forgotten:  hide and seek in the church in the dark.

Let's get this out of the way first -- I did not grow up Catholic so this isn't going to go someplace dark (pun half intended).  Oh -- and that picture over there is not from that which I'm about to memorialize, but from the new show that inspired the memory in the first place -- Syfy's new Total BlackOut, hosted by the kid who used to Urkel it up before DWT"S" (air quotes fully intended).

With the full benefit of 20/20 hindsight, I can look back to three main influences that helped me come into my own back in the day:  meeting what turned out to be lifelong friends that I connected with working at McDonalds, participating in a unique opportunity when I was in 10th grade that I'll make reference to in an upcoming flashback this Friday and having a support system of adults who took an interest in my situation -- both from my high school and at Hebron church.  Which finally, in my typically long-winded way, brings me to that which I'm missing this evening -- playing hide and seek in the church in the dark during our all-nighters.

It's exactly what I think of when I watch Syfy's new show (see ... it is all connected) ... as I recall, the sanctuary was off limits ... but other than that, it was three stories of no lights wandering around in the dark to find hiding spaces.  We were chaperoned, but now that I'm older and more worldly ... I think that maybe ...

... activity the older kids made up so they could go make out while the younger kids played, you are missed.

THE SHOW THAT BROUGHT BACK THE MEMORY:
http://www.syfy.com/totalblackout

MY HOMETOWN CHURCH IS ON FACEBOOK!:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hebron-United-Methodist-Church/143623449016925

JALEEL's SCANDALOUS COMMENTS:
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20537771,00.html

No comments:

Post a Comment