April 14, 2012

Random Soapbox for Saturday 4/14/12



I don't mean to go off on a rave here, but ...



[ ... remember, I'm committed to raving for the whole month of April, with a promise to return to my usual ranting self on Saturdays in May ...]



... but three cheers to Dave Cummings (fair warning -- I'm referring to the guy from New Hampshire that is featured below, not the 70 year old gentleman who recently made it into the adult industry's hall of fame -- although, since he was a Vietnam veteran, the stories do dovetail in an odd way ...) who completed his one millionth free throw in a fundraiser he did for two years to benefit our troops.



Being here in Indy for the weekend, I feel all kinds of sporty, what with the Super Bowl having just been played here this year and so much basketball being a part of the Hoosier lifestyle. And so the story featured at the link below caught my eye. He originally thought he might raise a million dollars (one for each free throw), and although that didn't quite pan out, he did raise tens of thousands of dollars for the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund (which researches TBI -- traumatic brain injury).



And the best part was his motivation. According to him (as quoted in a USAToday article from last veteran's day 11-11-11), "I'd spent my life being oblivious about the sacrifices of the people in the military ... I didn't want to be that oblivious guy anymore."



Congratulations on a million free throws ... on raising the funds you did ... and on being a role model for us all.



THE HOOPS FOR HEROES BLOG ... ONE MILLION FREE THROWS THROWN:




... MADE EASIER WITH THIS DONATED ITEM:




CAREFUL WHEN YOU SEARCH DAVE CUMMINGS:

No comments:

Post a Comment