April 30, 2012

Random Memorial for Monday 4/30/12

Gone but not forgotten:  10 fingers lost in wood shop accidents per day.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission is currently accepting comments on Table Saw safety, in response to the fact that an average of ten fingers are lost each day in wood shop accidents.  Me -- I haven't been an active participant of a wood shop scenario since 7th grade, when I made this (basic) bookend (featured in the picture to the left).  [The jankety scoop I made in 8th grade metal shop has been lost to history.]

Of note, I'm far from an "H-Sammer" like Marilu Henner, but I do currently have a memory like a steel trap, so I also distinctly remember drawing the alphabet in 3-D in order to get a good grade out of Mr. Dombach ... and I do remember our 8th grade metal shop teacher's story of how he lost part of his digits (and how he went blind one time from eating out of dented tin cans).

Anyway, I'm safe (as is my biodad since his wood shop where he made whirly-gigs and rocking ponies and such was dismantled when he headed toward the nursing home) ... but I am worried for the man who made most of the homemade wooden things in my living quarters (thanks again Walter for the CD cabinet, and the interchangeable wooden bar pieces that serve as multi-functional storage, and the plate display unit, and the coat-rack!) who will someday return to a wood shop of his own.

Assuming we can step in and improve this equipment, digits of the future (no matter whether they are on the hands of loved ones or not), you will not be missed.

THE GOAL IS CUTTING EDGE (PUN INTENDED) FLESH RECOGNITION TECHNOLOGY:
http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/news/woodworking-industry-news/CPSC-Votes-2-1-to-Accept-More-Comments-on-Table-Saw-Safety-140416963.html

THE FINGERS BELONG TO HOBBYISTS, SHOP STUDENTS AND OTHER CONSUMERS:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpquery/?&sid=cp112s2gpt&r_n=sr079.112&dbname=cp112&&sel=TOC_206676&

THIS IS THE RESULT WHEN I SEARCH 7th GRADE WOOD SHOP IN MY HOMETOWN:
http://newspaperarchive.com/lebanon-daily-news/1953-04-30/page-18


No comments:

Post a Comment