March 29, 2012

Random Thought for Thursday 3/29/12

Favorite things about this vacation so far ... I got to finally meet Joshua, and, all things considered, he seems nice enough for a tree ... While in the national park today, I got to see two actual road runners, and I "met" them when they literally ran in front of me on the road as I was driving (sorry, no pics of the road runners -- as they (and I) were both going too fast to stop to pose) ... and, while crisping my skin by the pool, I got to catch up on my old newspapers.

In particular, I enjoy seeing how my home state has been featured in the national news (and although I've been in Chicago for a third of my life so far, it's Pennsylvania and not Illinois to which I am referring). And the stories that were featured have been all over the map (warning -- I said I'm catching up on news whist poolside, so these items may be up to a few months old):

Indiana PA was featured as the place where the November White House shooter was arrested,
Harrisburg PA had the headline of the Liquor Control Board defeating a $1 per bottle price increase,
Reading PA was where the story came from that should have been the plot to a horror movie and not real life (the lady who hid her affair fetuses in her closet),
Philly PA was portrayed as considering a soda tax (lesson -- alcohol is good, soda is bad), was cracking down on bicyclists who were running red lights and riding against traffic (would that they brought that attitude to Chicago) and was being named the top city where people lost cell phones ...

... but the most unexpected story took place at my alma mater Lebanon Valley College in Annville PA where Camp Hill high school students attending football camp last summer took the emmy award winning J. Timberlake sketch to a new level and hazed their underclassmen with a round of "d*#k in a PIZZA box".

It all makes Chicago seem a little tame ...

WOULD THAT IT HAD BEEN A FICTIONAL HORROR STORY:
http://www.theweeklyvice.com/2011/07/michelle-kalina-woman-charged-with.html

MAYBE TAX THE COCAINE TRADE INSTEAD OF THE COCA COLA TRADE?:
http://www.consumerfreedom.com/2011/06/4459-philly-mayors-new-soda-tax-proposal-is-plain-nuts/

I HOPE THEY WERE AT LEAST CLEVER ENOUGH TO REFER TO IT AS SAUSAGE PIZZA:
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/3_charged_in_trinity_high_scho.html

No comments:

Post a Comment