February 4, 2012

Random Soapbox for Saturday 2/4/12



I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...



... this pic of the Weebles treehouse demonstrates what is wrong with our society today.



When I was young (besides walking to school, uphill both ways, barefoot and pregnant --wait a minute, I might be merging some phrases there incorrectly), my Weebles had to mime climbing up to the treehouse during play time. And as this photo shows, now Weebles get to ride an elevator/escalator contraption instead.



Look people -- if there were ever a toy that needed the benefits of climbing the stairs a few times, it's those who weeble and wobble and don't fall down. I can still remember how the other Fisher Price little wooden people used to look and them from within their castle or on their Sesame Street streetscape and laugh when those Weebles didn't fit in any of their contraptions (although, come to think of it, they also didn't associate well with the square plastic people in the Holiday Inn hotel either). [Side note -- it sounds like my toys were a bunch of prejudiced people who didn't practice inclusionary behavior within their community. I think there's a lesson in there somewhere.]



In summary -- Weebles (and those kids who play with them still) -- take the damn stairs a few times! (Although, now I do wonder if a skinny Weeble might look like a sickly Weeble ... I guess only time will tell ...)


FROM WOODEN TO PLASTIC, SQUARE TO ROUND, AND NOW WITH DIVERSITY:



A WEEBLES HISTORY LESSON:



THE "TAKE THE STAIRS EVERY STEP COUNTS" CAMPAIGN:

No comments:

Post a Comment