February 13, 2012

Random Memorial for Monday 2/13/12

Gone but not forgotten: Whitney Elizabeth Houston.

Upon reflection, I don't think I've ever seen one of her movies all the way through -- but that doesn't mean that I don't know that the children are our future, that crack is wack and that "Bobby" helped her in ways I just couldn't imagine when she was in digestive distress. And I did get to see her in concert once at Penn State -- where all of the classic Whitney-isms were on display: the sweating, the forced nature of making her daughter join her on stage and the general sense that the voice had been damaged but was certainly once worthy of the claims of it being a national treasure. [If anything, the strangest part of the night was the fact that she asked the central PA audience to clap along at one point, but the rhythmless crowd just couldn't keep up -- creating an awkward and generally embarrassing moment for all of us.]

But regardless, it is the music that will most definitely live on (including some of my favorites: "Love Will Save the Day" and "I Learned from the Best" being two of them [I'll save my all time favorite for tomorrow's Tune for Tuesday]).

Troubled soul that you became that is hopefully now set free, you will be missed.

REVISITING THE 2002 INTERVIEW:
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/the-most-disturbing-moment-from-whitney-houstons-2002-diane-sawyer-interview/

WHEN YOUR WORLD'S FALLING APART, LOVE WILL SAVE THE DAY:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEQ4yAFiJkY&feature=related

I LEARNED FROM THE BEST ... I LEARNED FROM ... YOU...OO...OO...OO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFVnVuTcz9I&ob=av2n

No comments:

Post a Comment