January 23, 2012

Purposeful Memorial for Monday 1/23/12

Gone but not forgotten: Joe Paterno.

How do I react to learning that JoePa has passed?


I could fly a flag at half mast as they are doing back home upon the governor’s orders, but I don’t have one and I would rather not try to fashion one out of the Penn State shirts that I own.


I could dim my lights as they do in the theatre, but I much more prefer the fact that Beaver Stadium is being lit up until the Memorial Service is held.


I could participate in one of those candlelight vigils that I see on the news, but I just can’t make the trip.


I could propose a moment of silence, but as there were already too many moments of silence related to the Sandusky scandal, that could be a distraction from honoring the whole career of the man, and not the blemish of the last few months.


I could recall the one time I saw a live game on campus – courtesy of my sister Sherry who lived in State College while her husband taught there.


I could reflect on why I became more of a fan over time. Sure, it was somewhat predestined having grown up in central PA – but since moving to Chicago in 2001, I became a more active fan so I could have a piece of home with me.


Instead, I choose to honor him by reminding myself …


… that I knew that the score would never be run up at the end of the game in a mismatched contest.


… that I knew that he was invested in the academic performance of his student athletes.


… that I knew that he would avoid spin of any kind and answer questions directly – including the frequent reply of “well, we played poorly” when asked “what happened out there?”.


… that I knew that he would give back of the millions he earned by generously donating to the campus and community.


… that I knew that he would honor the promises he made to his players including the promise that he would not tolerate unruly behavior or disrespect from those he coached.


… that I knew that he was loyal to his family, players and staff, perhaps to a fault.


… that I knew that he was … Penn State!


And so with these specifically chosen 409 words of tribute … JoePa, you will be missed.

THE AFOREMENTIONED GLOWING TRIBUTE:
http://pennstate.scout.com/2/1151227.html

THE AFOREMENTIONED GIVING OF MILLIONS:
http://giveto.psu.edu/s/1218/base-template.aspx?sid=1218&gid=1&pgid=501

THE PATERNO PROFILE:
http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/paterno_joe00.html

No comments:

Post a Comment