September 8, 2011

Purposeful Thought for Thursday 9/8/11

I'll interrupt my normal randomness to state that I was born the same year as Hurricane Agnes, and I recall the various "high-water" signs scattered about central PA from it, and always wondered what it was really like.

As I view the pictures of the Tropical Storm Lee damage (on Facebook, on the web, on the Weather Channel and on the Today Show!) from the Swattie and the Quitty and the Susquehanny (that doesn't quite work as a diminutive) and countless other streams, rivers and "cricks" in my old 'hoods, I just have to say that my thoughts are with you and yours in that area. Flooded basements, washed out roads, collapsed bridges -- here's hoping the community rallies together at a time like this.

(On a personal note, the house I lived in for a few years in Harrisburg is now one of the ones being evacuated in anticipation of the cresting happening tomorrow. Amazing!)

And, when it's all done and over with, it sounds like a few new signs demonstrating the high mark for Lee will need to be put up for future generations to wonder about!

Be safe -- don't drive through flooded areas -- take pics from a distance -- and good luck to all dealing with this crisis!

LEBANON DAILY NEWS FLOODING PICS:
http://www.ldnews.com/ci_18846237?source=most_viewed

MORE FLOODING PICS FROM A LITTLE FARTHER WEST:
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/09/photo_gallery_25_dramatic_phot.html

EVACUATION IN HARRISBURG:
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/09/post_237.html

No comments:

Post a Comment