August 31, 2011

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 8/31/11

"Brussels sprouts are the new pistachios are the new pomegranates -- but bacon is forever."

Used in a sentence: "Brussels sprouts are the new pistachios are the now pomegranates -- but bacon is forever." (Oh right -- it already is a sentence ...)

I think I said it before, "I'm not a foodie -- I just watch them on TV". And with the amount of TV I watch, I do tend to notice when those chef-testants tend to overuse an ingredient. And whereas pomegranates were once in every dish from breakfast to midnight snack, it seems a few months ago it was pistachios that were suddenly topping every appetizer, entree and amuse-bouche. And now -- I'm prognosticating that it's the lowly brussels sprout that will be served in duos and trios and in creme brulee or ice cream.

Regardless of which culinary concoction gets its Warholian fifteen of fame, bacon has always been and will always be -- here to stay. Which is why it was so enjoyable to finally cash in my 2011 birthday present (from January) and to participate in Paddy Long's Beer and Bacon testing tonight (thanks (c)!) The pics are now appearing on FB in the new mobile uploads album (look at me joining the kids and their fanciness with their phones) of the five rounds (Irish Back-bacon, Pepper Bacon, Hot Smoked Danish Pork Belly, Hickory Smoked Breakfast Bacon and Brown Sugar Dessert Bacon) and the main courses (Bacon Wrapped Dates, Deep Fried Applewood Bacon and Spicy Bacon Sausage Balls).

[If this is my last post, feel free to drape my coffin with the blown up bacon photos. And, starting tomorrow and at least for a bit of time -- maybe a few more brussels sprouts and a few less bacon strips might be advised.]

THEY EVEN MAKE A HOLIDAY WREATH OUT OF THEM:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sf/hot-or-not/hot-or-not-brussels-sprouts-wreath-071564

A BEVY OF BRUSSELS SPROUTS SPROUTS RECIPES:
http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/collections/brussels-sprout-recipes.aspx

EAT BACON HERE!:
http://timeoutchicago.com/restaurants-bars/consume-blog/97597/beer-and-bacon-tasting-at-paddy-long%E2%80%99s-pub-photo-gallery


No comments:

Post a Comment