April 9, 2011

Random Soapbox for Saturday 4/9/11

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... let me first say that I can thankfully scrap my diatribe about our almost-shutdown (it would have been #18 in our history, I believe) after simply repeating what I've said before -- compromise and consensus building is demonstrative of leadership in my opinion.

And, having said that, then let me mention how frustrated I am with Jennifer Hudson. All in all -- she has a powerful story and has overcome obstacles that no one should have to face -- but must the chorus of her new song really be a repetition of "where you at?" multiple times? I tried to sing along and change the refrain to "where are you?" and I think it worked just fine. I guess "where you at?" sounds a little angrier than the more winsome and pensive "where are you?" -- which was probably R Kelly's point (he produced it between exploring his sexuality as it relates to water sports and underage girls) -- but must we give up on grammar like this?

I'm flashing back to the problem I had with Fergie a few years back when "a child misses their blanket" should have been when "children miss their blankets" or "a child misses his or her blanket". I ended up banning that song from the car radio and I feel the same may happen to J Hud soon.

Or maybe it could be that I'm just too old and unhip!

WHERE YOU AT? WHERE YOU AT? WHERE YOU AT?:

THERE REALLY IS A FACEBOOK PAGE FOR EVERYTHING:

NO, NO -- NOW THERE REALLY IS A FACEBOOK PAGE FOR EVERYTHING:

No comments:

Post a Comment