December 3, 2010

Random Flashback for Friday 12/3/10


After multiple months overseas many many years ago, the group of us in Koln had grown a little homesick and weary of the semester abroad experience. How do I know? Because we got taken to task by Klaus one day (he's the older gentleman behind me) when the group of us were told that we had to start "adapting to the local conditions" better. It turns out my smart-alec-ness and antio-authoritarian streak were both well developed even in 1990, as the event captured in this photo is me passing out the infamous Fruh beer deckels labeled with the "Adapt to the Local Conditions Awards" at our farewell party. And, even back then, I couldn't edit well as you can see by the stack of awards I'm passing out. My awards that night ... "the most devoted member of a long distance relationship (with Cher)" ... "the most competitive class ender (often through questioning comments)" ... "the ducks' best friend" ... "most interested in testing McD's quality control" ... and ... "most complex personality". Much doesn't change in 20 years, after all!
And, here's this week's Amazing Race Aside -- I guess adapting to the local conditions in Hong Kong means dealing with the bait and switch. Meaning that the room that looks like Asian karaoke is really sushi-til-you-pukey! Tricky, Phil, tricky. [P.S. Dear tattooed punk girl, I got angry watching your boyfriend who apparently went off his meds this past week. I would have supported you throwing him overboard and you finishing the next few legs with the parakeets as partners instead, just so you know!]

No comments:

Post a Comment