October 12, 2010

Random Tune for Tuesday 10/12/10

Whereas I used to be exposed to culture through cartoons (have you ever looked at the amount of classical music to which we were surreptitiously introduced by Bugs Bunny and his ilk?), I now have to rely on half-hour comedies to make me acquainted with instantly unforgettable tunes like "Istanbul, not Constantinople" (thanks Greg Garcia and your latest glimpse of how things happen in the real [albeit eccentric] world). Raising Hope, on Fox tonight, is growing on me -- as I expected it would based on its lineage (Yes Dear and My Name is Earl). And, for some reason, it's been in my head since last week's episode, except I want to do a mash-up of it with "Puttin' on the Ritz".

Making me extra happy -- the you-tube clip of the song whose link is below as performed by They Might Be Giants is from a modern day Tiny Toons.

AMAZING RACE ASIDE: Speaking of ever-changing names in history, I was more than a little worried when the racers came up on the African children's geography lesson on the most recent episode and when they had to designate Ghana on the map. There's been quite a few changes to the political map of Africa since I learned it over twenty years ago in Mrs. Gardner's 10th grade world studies class! Hello Burkina Faso and Eritrea! Goodbye Zaire!

THAT's NOBODY's BUSINESS BUT THE TURKS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv-KcF3Rkv8&feature=fvw

PLAY THE WHERE IN AFRICA GAME YOURSELF:
http://www.ilike2learn.com/ilike2learn/africa.html

No comments:

Post a Comment