October 11, 2010

Random Memorial for Monday 10/11/10

Gone but not forgotten: riding the see saw.

And I'm not going all metaphorical at all -- I mean that I literally miss being on one end of a see saw. An adult can easily slip into a swing and reminisce (although it might conjure up an image just crying out for slow sad music), but you can't quite just jump on a see saw when you walk past one. That is assuming you could find one, since modern play structures seem to have gotten rid of so much of what I remember from my youth anyway (maybe the spinny thing that you got people to push as fast as they possibly could so you would get up and fall down right away was too dangerous ... and the giant slides you would try to run up to get to the top backwards or go down at triple-speed with the aid of wax paper led to more concussions than an NFL game)?

[Quick note, I'm not hanging out at little kids' playgrounds. I don't want any rumors started.]

By the way, the encyclopedia of the people (perfect for rewriting history for those fully enveloped in the disposable generation) implies that there are geographic distinctions for calling these things see-saws or teeter-totters or ridey-horses (I most certainly don't miss being on one of those -- not at my current weight!). Is see-saw really the soda to the teeter-totter's pop?

The exhilaration I got from jumping off the see-saw when I was the one on the ground, causing the other rider to plummet to the earth (am I evil or was I just being a boy?), you are missed.

NO SEE-SAWs (OR TEETER-TOTTERs) IN SIGHT ON THESE DESIGNS:
http://www.thekidsbackyardstore.com/subs/residential.html

NOW EVEN HISTORY IS DISPOSABLE (RIPE FOR THE REWRITING):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seesaw

TEETER-TOTTERs FOR THOSE WITH SENSORY PROCESSING DISORDERS:
http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/rotating-teeter-totter.html

No comments:

Post a Comment