August 16, 2010

Random Memorial for Monday 8/16/10

Gone but not forgotten: the original Weebles.

I don't mean the silly re-launch ones from this millennium but the plastic/metal ones with the weight inside that lived in a plastic tree-house (accessible by a roundish swing). And I certainly don't mean the Disney-fied ones but the papa and the mama and the puppy dog. And I for sure don't mean the tumbler ones that can magically land on their feet or their head (because the weight inside moves), but the kind that lived in the same "neighborhood" we built when I was younger when we involved the Play-Skool Little People in their castle and Sesame Street set(and they were wooden, not plastic --except for the square ones in the Holiday Inn, which only came in plastic).

Upon reflection, I was definitely not a progressive child as I never created any mixed families (Weebles only with with Weebles back then). Of course, it's common knowledge now that had a Weeble taken up with a Little Person (not the TLC kind, but the Play-skool kind), there would have been no stopping someone from choosing the Weeble puppy dog as a mate (I think that's the way those love-control arguments work). Plus, would the Weebles and their plus-size appearance have been subject to discrimination as the obese are treated in today's society? Who knows what other of society's ills might have become evident in the toy town social microcosm I created had I known then what I know now?

You that would wobble but wouldn't fall down AND could also choke a baby, you are missed.

HISTORY OF THE MIGHTY WEEBLE:
http://www.weebles-wobble.com/

WEEBLES AS THEY SHOULD BE (CLASSIC PHOTO):
http://hubpages.com/hub/Weebles-Wobble-but-they-dont-fall-down

OBESE FEEL MORE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1730150,00.html

No comments:

Post a Comment