September 20, 2016

L V C || C L Memory 17


In ONLY 17 days, I'll be back on campus at my alma-mater at an extra special homecoming as Lebanon Valley College continues celebrating its 150th birthday.  In honor of that countdown, here's memory #17:  going into the woods one more time.

Who doesn't love a sequel?  The theatre kids sure did ... hence the return to Grenta Glen, to get off campus in the fall of 1994 (after having done so in the winter at the beginning of that year) for Theate Retreat II to do some bonding (shared experiences), expanding (sharing of experiences) and communicating (how to share experiences).

We were a bigger group that time ... and the only off site trip was for those of us who went rocksliding at the nearby Cornwall Furnace (you had to be there ...), and we had a grand old time.

It seems like, seeing as how I was graduating, I also left my final words with everyone ... and they sound like themes I've been saying all my life:  "One of the dangers ... is to become immersed in a clique, by design a promoter of group think and a demoter of individuality.  Take the time to meet people you may not usually run into; talk to people you may not usually talk to; experience others who may not have experienced you or RUN THE RISK OF NEVER APPRECIATING WHO YOU ARE!  ... In anticipation of a future broadened by successfully accomplished challenges and enhanced by individually stimulated thoughts ..." -- that's how I left them.

It turns out I agree wholeheartedly with my 22 year old self.

No comments:

Post a Comment