August 29, 2016

Random Memorial for Monday 8/29/16

Gone but not forgotten:  Jerome Silberman.

Or Gene Wilder, as he was more likely known to you and me.

Or, if we're being completely truthful, Willy Wonka, as he was actually *first* known to me, until I came to know him as Gilda's husband.  And now he's gone to be with her (although there were three other wives ... and I have no idea if any of them have also passed on ... so there's that) ...

Regardless, to him who delivered the best performance of this Roald Dahl poem, which in my mind was actually the first thing I thought of when I heard of his passing today:

Round the world and home again
That's the sailor's way
Faster faster, faster faster

There's no earthly way of knowing
Which direction we are going
There's no knowing where we're rowing
Or which way the river's flowing

Is it raining, is it snowing
Is a hurricane a–blowing

Not a speck of light is showing
So the danger must be growing
Are the fires of Hell a–glowing
Is the grisly reaper mowing

Yes, the danger must be growing
For the rowers keep on rowing
And they're certainly not showing
Any signs that they are slowing.

... you will be missed.

WHAT I WILL ALWAYS THINK OF WHEN I HEAR 'GENE WILDER':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tya1UixPX2Q

GENE ON GILDA:
http://www.people.com/article/gene-wilder-tearful-goodbye-gilda-radner

MORE QUOTES TO REMEMBER HIM BY:
http://www.ibtimes.com/gene-wilder-dead-13-quotes-remember-willy-wonka-actor-after-his-death-2408831

No comments:

Post a Comment