August 23, 2016

L V C || C L Memory 45


In 45 days, I'll be back on campus at my alma-mater at an extra special homecoming as Lebanon Valley College continues celebrating its 150th birthday.  In honor of that countdown, here's memory #45:  being supported by the kids from Hebron.

After all, I was once a kid from Hebron -- the local United Methodist church in nearby Lebanon, and LVC is officially a Methodist college.  During my college years, I served by leading a Sunday night kids' church session, and then as a counselor at a few Winter Retreats.  And the best part was, that as those "kids" grew older, they too reached out to me via old fashioned letter writing (remember, this was the age before e-mail).

It's true that I had a rough family situation once upon a time (after all, I had run away from home as a senior in high school in order to put myself through college) ... and it's ALSO true that what got me through any of the rough times was a tremendous support system of all kinds of people who were cheering me on to success -- including (but not limited to) the letters I got from Mandi F, Sandee J, Debra L and Jen L.

All things considered, I was (and am) a lucky lucky person ...

No comments:

Post a Comment