July 26, 2016

L V C || C L Memory 73


In 73 days, I'll be back on campus at my alma-mater at an extra special homecoming as Lebanon Valley College continues celebrating its 150th birthday.  In honor of that countdown, here's memory #73:  the final play in the student production of the evening called 'Through a Shattered Looking Glass' in October 1991.

Yes ... I am *almost* finished with this mini-set of memories ... but not before highlighting our version of the classic short story 'The Monkey's Paw'.  If you're not familiar, it's the tale of being "careful what you wish for" (or should that be "careful for that which you wish"?) ... and it ends in a moment of high drama that we got to recreate each performance.  And by "we", I mean Andy H, Bill T, Rob G and Jen H -- and the rest of the cast and crew who contributed.

Just before "we" did that each night, "we" also got to set the mood with a dramatic reading of Poe's 'The Raven'.  And this time by "we", I mean "me".  The whole theatre went dark, and I was perched up in the lighting booth with a flashlight -- where I got to serenade the audience with the poem.  And by "serenade", I mean "do my best to scare the bejeezus out of each and every one of them".

These two pieces that ended the performance were also why we decided to break with tradition and run a special show on Halloween night.

No comments:

Post a Comment