April 23, 2016

Random Soapbox for Saturday 4/23/16

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... *this* may be the saddest thing I've ever seen.

Well, those Ethiopian kids with distended bellies that were all over the television when I was younger and the modern day counterpart to that advertisement of cats with too much eye crud and dogs with nothing to do but cower being serenaded by Sarah McLachlan probably rank above it.

But take a close look at this Coca-Cola fountain machine and note that, of all the choices, Coca-Cola is not a one.  Yes, I know that there are two spots for DIET coke and one for coke ZERO ... but those are NOT Coca-Cola.

Admittedly, this particular station was in the cafeteria at the hospital, and so there was probably a mission about being heart-healthy and waist-conscious or something similarly hospitalesque, but we live in a land of freedom, which includes the freedom to choose traditional real classic Coca-Cola (yes, I was alive for that year in bizarro land when New Coke was in the marketplace, so I use the word "classic" with full intention).  Do we need a lawsuit a la Bloomberg and his failed attempt to ban soda buckets in order to have our free will recognized?

Full disclosure:  for those who follow me on the Facebook, you may know that I'm in the midst of some long term plans to lose some pounds, so I wanted to explain myself lest I appear disingenuous.  As part of that plan, my Coca-Cola consumption has been limited to just one each day, but only on Tu, Th, Sa and Su (or when I'm shopping, or in a slurpee so long as I sit like a good boy when getting a haircut, or on long road trips, or if I find myself in stressful situations [like being in a darn hospital!!]

Lookit -- I'm even okay with a compromise.  If you're going to have a fountain machine without any Coca-Cola in it, then put a different giant picture on it to avoid getting a certain someone's hopes up, only to have them dashed after a cup is drawn and ice is gathered and a body is keyed up to have a particular craving satisfied.  Sheesh!

TO BE FAIR, SARAH CAN'T WATCH THOSE COMMERCIALS EITHER:
http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/12/sarah-mclachlan-cant-watch-her-aspca-commercial.html

PENANCE LINK ... CONSIDER DONATING TO UNICEF AFTER READING THIS LINK:
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/09/bellies-starving-babies-swell/

INTERESTING ... VERY INTERESTING ...:
http://www.theawl.com/2013/09/how-to-install-a-soda-fountain-in-your-own-home

No comments:

Post a Comment