March 21, 2016

Random Memorial for Monday 3/21/16

Gone but not forgotten:  clapping erasers.

And I remember exactly where I executed that task, too -- against *these* walls of *this* building: Southeast Elementary in my hometown of Lebanon PA.  (Note:  back in my day, this view would have included the kind of metal playground equipment that lawyers have since gotten removed ... and the flagless flag pole that served as base for our games of "Snotman" [a variation of tag that really does deserve it's own post one of these days.])

What I don't remember any more (I was in 5th or 6th grade after all) is whether it was punishment (a consequence of the deportment chart perhaps?) or reward ... or just something kids who really really really liked school begged to do.  (By the way, I was one of those kids who really really really liked school ...)

Speaking of memories, I'm pretty sure that this building's "wing for old students" (they separated the older grades from the younger ones, so as not to corrupt them I guess) was remodeled at some point because I distinctly remember there being a corner on the left of these doors that had a covered grate as THAT was the corner where the eraser clapping happened.

[One other note -- the prompt for suddenly remembering this task was because I saw Linus volunteer to do it on the Peanuts VDay special I watched on demand the other week ...]

Activity that caused a dust cloud that possibly set me up for "eraser lung" later in life ... and activity that kids nowadays probably have never even heard of ... you are missed.

ERASER CLAPPING:  PRIVILEGE OR DEPORTMENT CHART CONSEQUENCE:
http://www.octimesherald.com/articles/2013/09/04/clapping-erasers-punishment-or-reward

AS GOES THE ERASER CLAPPING TASK, SO GOES THE OLD OLD BUILDINGS:
http://myowntimemachine.com/2010/03/29/now-that-clapping-erasers-has-gone-out-of-style-what-to-do-with-old-school-buildings/

THE PROMPT FOR MY MEMORY:
http://holidayfilmreviews.blogspot.com/2013/02/be-my-valentine-charlie-brown.html

No comments:

Post a Comment