March 14, 2016

Random Memorial for Monday 3/14/16

Gone but not forgotten:  my McDonald's.

To those of you back in my hometown of Lebanon, I am NOT referring to the one in the Eastern part of town on Cumberland -- where I worked as a high schooler (between that job and the one at Hills, I pretty much saw every person who lived in town on a regular rotation).

Instead, the Mc-no-more situation is happening in Chicago, my home for over a dozen years at the beginning of this century.  Many of those years were spent in an apartment building just a spit and a holler away from Wrigley (I was sooo close I could open the windows to hear the national anthems and the seventh inning stretches ... and I could catch people peeing in the back alley when taking out the trash) ... which is why news that the McDonald's that was in walking distance for a quick breakfast or other meal or just dessert was being razed today made me reminisce.  It's all part of the multi-year plan for renovating the area ... and one day a Sheraton hotel (with a McD inside?) will be in that space.  It's not to be ready by my return trip to town this July ... but one day ...

Fastest place to get fast food for nearly a decade, and establishment where it was an unwritten rule to not make eye contact with any of the homeless, drunk, or homeless AND drunk customers ... you will be missed (but probably not until next time I'm in Chitown, that is).

MC NO MORE:
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20160211/wrigleyville/wrigley-mcdonalds-closing-march-1-getting-razed-make-way-for-hotel

THE END GAME:
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/restore-wrigley/

A FAN'S GOODBYE (OF SOMEONE CLEARLY MORE A FAN THAN I):
http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2016/3/10/11187760/goodbye-mickey-ds-a-musical-farewell

No comments:

Post a Comment