January 23, 2016

Random Soapbox for Saturday 1/23/16

I don't mean to go off on a rave here, but ...

... the changes to the blog for 2016 continue with the announcement of a new occasional series to be known as my "Personal Hall of Fame".

Beginning tonight, and featured once each quarter, I'll be posting something particular about the individual (or group) I'll be inducting into my personal hall of fame,

And yes, it might be the height of narcissism to create a personal hall of fame ... but I'm okay with carrying that burden so long as it provides me with an opportunity to thank those who played the most impactful roles in my life.

Without further ado, I am pleased to announce the inaugural inductee for this new annual recognition:  JoAnn Dearth.  JoAnn is she whom I refer to as my "surrogate grandmother", and I'll explain more in Q2 during the official induction ceremony -- but she was the person from Uniontown PA whom I met in 1992 through my cousin and his theatre company, and who adopted me as her family until her death a few years back.

This display was once in her house, and it was the gifts I got her for Christmas year after year (the unit in which they are housed was the first year).  This mimicked that which her and her daughter did on the holidays (before she passed away from cancer prior to my coming in to her life), and I inherited it when JoAnn also passed away from cancer.  It now sits in the homestead as a reminder, next to the picture of us in Amish Country (also show below).

There will be three more posts of different kinds this year honoring her memory ... for 2016 will be the year of JoAnn Dearth.


No comments:

Post a Comment