December 2, 2015

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 12/2/15

Wasichu.

Used in a sentence:  "I am cracker ... I am honky ... I am paleface ... I am whitey ... I am wasichu."

Or, at least, that's what *others* may call me.

Point being ... I was fully aware of all of the variety of derogatory terms for white folks, but wasichu was a new one.  It's possible that I was only exposed to it when I wrapped up the second (and final?) season of 'The Red Road' over on the Sundance channel.  A quick check on the interwebs provides alternate views as to whether it just means white man, or if it means "greedy white man who steals the fat", or if it stands for something else entirely.

Regardless, I expect to be driving round trip between Vegas and Phoenix come Super Bowl weekend, so I want to be fully informed in case I run into any angry native Americans by the side of the road, because, you know, my people did do a number on their people back in the day ... and I'm afraid the family rumor that I'm 1/16th native American might not be sufficient to get me off the hook for all the nasty smallpoxiness that happened.

They say ignorance is bliss ... but I say knowledge is power ... so, in my opinion, you gots to know when someone's making fun of you, yo!

WHITE MAN OR WHITE GREEDY MAN WHO STEALS THE FAT?:
http://www.native-languages.org/iaq20.htm

OR SOMETHING ELSE ENTIRELY?:
http://nativeamericantherealdeal.tribe.net/thread/966a01d6-adb4-47f8-b423-262f47166db0

SO THERE'S THIS "RESOURCE":
http://www.rsdb.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment