December 31, 2015

Random Thought for Thursday 12/31/15

It's happening ... the annual writing of the new year's resolutions.  Of course, with them being on the blog, I can actually look back at the resolutions made one year ago to determine that I succeeded on six of them.

Six out of fifteen from 2015.  That wouldn't be a passing grade in school ...but I would get a modern day participation ribbon!  I'll let that factoid dissuade me from listing 16 resolutions for the year ahead ... and instead I'll set myself up for better success by offering just 6 resolutions for 2016.  To whit:

1.)  Update family research ... now with both parents passed, it seems all the more urgent to digitize the previous work.  Whether that means heading to ancestry.com, or publishing photos so that folks can be properly identified, or seeing who is willing to provide data from the latest generation, or trying to get on one of those finding your roots/who do you think you are shows ... it's time to make progress on the optimal presentation of what is currently just a bunch of paper in a filing cabinet.

2.)  Print out photos ... every day that passes is one more day closer to the inevitable crash of cell phones and/or computers ... and the loss of years of digital photos that don't exist in tangible form.  While not exactly a national crisis, it does have the potential to be a bit of a personal crisis ... so it's time to get shutterflied up in here!

3.)  Watch more superhero movies ... although I'm up to date on my Batmans and my Supermans (which is good, considering Batman V Superman is on the docket for release in 2016), I've never seen a single X-men film nor anything from the Marvel-verse (what can I say? ... it seems my allegiance leans more toward the DC side of comics) ... and that needs to change in the new year.

4.)  Control my television addiction ... my DVR is always more than 95% full, which has created a media consumption never ending battle to put me under pressure to see all that needs to be seen.  So I should probably seek help for my addiction and reduce my watch list (carefully, so as not to suffer withdrawal), with a goal of being below 40% next year at this time (a 5% monthly reduction seems doable, no?) ...

5.)  Continue with my weight loss ... since starting a long term program this past summer designed to change habits, I've lost 12.5 pounds ... but I'm really targeting a loss of three times that amount by the end of the year.  Progress is progress, but the plateau is the enemy, so I need to stay on track and likely try new things ...

6.)  Travel, travel, travel ... it is quite possibly the thing in life that brings me the most enjoyment ... and 2016 has a slate of itineraries, from Phoenix/Vegas in February for the "chasing the Super Bowl tradition" to the triumphant return to Chicago (after having canceled two other trips since moving from there to here in early 2014), to a stop in Toronto (to complete my quest of dipping my feet into each of the Great Lakes) to a drive up the coast to central PA in time for my undergrad alma mater's 150th birthday party in the fall, to a return trip to New Orleans as part of a new holiday tradition ... I am looking forward to meeting new people, seeing new things, checking off a few more of my travel must-haves (like my burger quest ... and visits to Hard Rocks ... and touring the remaining Kaplan centers) ... and, most importantly, catching up with friends along the way!

And so the new year begins.  From me and mine to you and yours ... happy happy happy 2016!

LAST YEAR'S LIST (WITH 6 of 15 SUCCESSES):
http://www.capcognition.blogspot.com/2015/01/random-thought-for-thursday-1115.html

REMEMBER TO CHECK IN FREQUENTLY:
http://www.joinbluepen.com/new-years-resolutions-are-just-year-round-goals-in-disguise/

OR ... DON'T BOTHER (WITH A TWIST):
http://goinswriter.com/writing-resolutions/


No comments:

Post a Comment