December 12, 2015

Random Soapbox for Saturday 12/12/15

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... I forgot how uncomfortable New Orleans makes me feel with so many of the homeless being accompanied by dogs.

This is the third trip in almost as many years (Feb 2014, Nov 2014 and now Dec 2015), and that odd feeling came right back with just a few footsteps taken around the French Quarter.

Mind you, far be it from me to begrudge anyone companionship ... and I'm sure it says something fundamentally horrible about me that I want to rescue the dogs more than the people ... it's just that I can't dismiss the feeling that maybe the pets are just "props" and not really family.  There was one dog outside of the hotel on Bourbon dressed as a thug and being posed for pictures with drunken tourists, and it was all I could do to go take the pooch and spirit him away into *my* custody.  (Note ... that is NOT the photo accompanying this post, which just came off of the images google provides.)

I'm aware enough to know that this is more my problem with how it makes me feel and points to work that I need to do on myself ... but it's something with which I really really struggle.

THEY CALL THEM 'GUTTER PUNKS':
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/03/french_quarter_transients_targ.html

AN ALTERNATE VIEW ON THE ISSUE:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/danielle-wolffe/8-reasons-homeless-people_b_6562446.html

BTW ... LOOKS LIKE NAWLINS IS MAKING PROGRESS WITH HOMELESSNESS:
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2015/01/08/3609181/nola-ends-vet-homelessness/

No comments:

Post a Comment