October 21, 2015

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 10/21/15

Knee-hab.

Used in a sentence:  "In the modified words of the late Amy Winehouse, 'they tried to make go to knee-hab, and I said "oh, oh, oh!"'"

(Side note:  that's a quote within a quote within a quote, hence the five quotation marks at the end [two doubles and a single {'cause that's how I roll.}])

(Additional side note:  those are braces within brackets with parentheses, cause that's *also* how I roll.  The more confusing, the better!)

Anyway ... I digress from the MAIN point, which is that I'm currently experiencing my first setback in my long term plans to lose weight by way of habit/routine change.  As part of phase I of my sixteen month plan, I was establishing a baseline and seeing what a normal routine of exercise might be for me (benefiting from any pounds that I lost in that stage of the process).

I had started jogging a few blocks on my hour long lunch walks each day, beginning with just one block and adding a block every week.  I made it up to seven blocks (not necessarily consecutive, but never with more than one recovery block off in between the jog-blocks) and that's when my right knee started talking to my left knee behind my back and they unionized and went on strike.

According to the doctor, it might also be that I haven't lost pounds quickly enough to support my full weight jarring down on those joints.  So she suggested running on grass or sand (unfortunately not as direct a part of my urban environment) OR switching to swimming (despite my affinity for the water, I've never learned how) or biking (which was a part of my phase II plans for the new year) until there was less of me hitting the pavement during the activity.

Additionally, I now have the brace ... and an ice pack ... and some good old Aleve to deal with the immediate after-effects of my recent decisions.  Also, come next month, I'll be adding in some exercises at the home gym to help strengthen my knees, in anticipation of returning to this aspect of my plans as soon as I can.  But, for now, my jogging plans are severely reduced (I'm going to try one day a week instead of six), although I'll still get my walk on each day ... and I'm officially in knee-hab mode.

I AM NOT ALONE:
http://fitness.stackexchange.com/questions/5624/how-do-i-overcome-this-muscle-knee-pain

TIME TO SWITCH OUT SOME EXERCISES IN THE HOME GYM:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/5-leg-exercises-bypass-knee-injury.htm

COME ON, YOU KNOW THIS SONG IS IN YOUR HEAD NOW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUmZp8pR1uc

No comments:

Post a Comment