October 31, 2015

Random Soapbox for Saturday 10/31/15

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... it's time to start my boycott list down here in southern Florida.

[NOTE:  This post is NOT about the announced merger of Walgreens with my former employer RiteAid ... *that* will come on an upcoming Monday.]

If you don't remember my boycott list from back in Chicago, it's almost always specific stores (not whole chains), with the exception of WellsFargo, which doesn't deserve a dime of mine (or anyone else's money) for how they treated me when I was wrapping up my father's affairs in the months leading up to his passing.  In the twelve years I spent in Chi-town, the Subway on Clark was on the list (from the day they yelled at me because I was taking too long to pick the cheese for my colleague Shannon's sandwich) ... as was the 7-11 next to Wrigley (for the time an over zealous parking lot attendant fresh from gangland somewhere, replete with teardrop tattoo, was too aggressive in getting me to leave their lot).

Back to my new locale ... and the Walgreen's at the corner of Andrews and Sunrise will NO longer ever be visited by me again.  I've spoken of it at least once before, the day the underage kid tried to get cigarettes by referring to me as his dad, but the straw that broke this camel's back was this past week when I was denied my white privilege of being able to use a credit card without ID.  Specifically, I was told at the counter that I could only use cash or a debit card ... and when I pushed back to say I had a credit card, I was told that it would not be accepted without matching ID.

Admittedly, this store in the chain is located in the ghetto, and I knew the risk by living ghetto-adjacent as I do (the rent's cheap ... and by living on a corner and with an alarm system and two pit bulls, safety isn't as much of an issue), but I will not stand by and be judged, even if the store is on my Tuesday walking path route and the closest to ye olde (new) Florida homestead.

From now on, I will drive a 'hood over ... a few blocks OUT of the 'hood ... where I can use my card without being judged and where store employees do not assume that everyone is a criminal (there's that white privilege again).  And as for my Tuesday walking path route, it's already been adjusted by two blocks so that I needn't pass the boycotted spot to be reminded by my dissatisfaction on a weekly basis.

Take *that* dirty Walgreen's on the corner of Andrews and Sunrise!

MY CHICAGO BOYCOTTS:
http://capcognition.blogspot.com/2013/01/random-soapbox-for-saturday-11213.html

NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE WHITE PRIVILEGE CONCEPT?:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/nyregion/at-new-york-private-schools-challenging-white-privilege-from-the-inside.html?_r=0

SPEAKING OF CREDIT CARD RULES AND REGS:
http://consumerist.com/2014/07/19/10-answers-to-credit-card-questions-we-get-asked-all-the-time/

No comments:

Post a Comment