October 12, 2015

Random Memorial for Monday 10/12/15

Gone but not forgotten:  having to respond to the call for "assistance needed at the blind cutters".

[Yes, this will be yet another memory tied to my time at Hills Department Store.  What can I say?  There were a lot of good times to remember from my years working there back in the day.]

Oddly enough, this particular one came rushing back to me a bit unexpectedly ... whilst walking through Lowe's this weekend preparing for an upcoming back yard project (garden-in-a-box, if all goes well).  Over the loudspeaker I heard the call go out that assistance was needed, and something deep within my muscle memory felt like maybe I should go "do the needful" (a little phrase I picked up from my international friends).

For yes, after a certain amount of time put in at ye olde department store of yore, veteran associates were expected to be able to handle the fancy machine back in domestics (similarly, at my other job of my youth at McDonald's, veteran associates *over the age of 15* got to work the deadly tomato slicer).

Activity that often had to be done two or three times before the right "cut" could be gotten (what can I say ... it was non computerized equipment from the early 90's) ... you are missed.

SADLY THE VIDEO DIDN'T GO INSIDE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBBts-sy6Eg

IF THEY CAN DO IT ... WHY CAN'T WE?:
https://www.facebook.com/Hills-Department-Store-42-Reunion-839588122750137/timeline/

BLIND CUTTING ... ALL MODERN LIKE AND COMPUTERIZED!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfv46p6LpMU

No comments:

Post a Comment