September 14, 2015

Random Memorial for Monday 9/14/15

Gone but not forgotten:  the task of utter peacefulness that was ... reshelving library books.

Disclaimer:  for all I know, libraries no longer have books, so this might be an anachronistic post (if you don't know that word, ask a librarian).

You know what I miss?  My days working at the LVC library and taking two carts full of books that needed to put back in the stacks in the proper order so that the world of the biblioteka didn't collapse in on itself.  It was so peaceful to engage my brain this way deep within the dewey decimals and to accomplish a task until the carts were empty.

The closest I've come in my adult life is alphabetizing hundreds and hundreds of scantron grids and test results spread out over a whole classroom in my job when it was back in Chicago and we had administered a free test at a local gigantic high school.

Upon reflection, I'm guessing that what I *really* enjoyed was the ability to uni-task in a world where multi-tasking is the new normal ... to focus on just one thing at one time to completion.  So task that I enjoyed because it silenced the voice in my head (look -- if I only hear one and it sounds like me, then it's not mental illness yet, even if it is constantly yammering) .. you are missed.

RE-SHELVING IS FUN FOR ALL AGES:
https://subversivereader.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/library-activities-for-all-ages-shelving-books/

ONE VOICE ... MY OWN ... IS OKAY:
http://www.pathwaytohappiness.com/writings_voice_in_head.htm

SCREW YOU MULTI-TASKING:
http://blog.sandglaz.com/power-of-single-task-focus/

No comments:

Post a Comment