September 11, 2015

Random Flashback for Friday 9/11/15

It's customary for my Friday flashbacks to look back twenty years ... which would mean today's post would normally be about what I was doing on or around September 11, 1995.

According to the interwebs, that day twenty years ago was a Monday ... and according to my archives, I was a fresh faced new kid in law school ... so that Monday from two decades ago was probably a relatively boring one filled with me reading and reading and reading (and underlining, because I didn't like to highlight) and then reading some more, hoping that I might comprehended enough to do okay in class that night (as I was in night school).

However, the point of today is that I really don't remember what I was doing on 9.11.95 ... unlike the memories seared into my mind from 9.11 six years later (fourteen years ago, for those of you bad at math).

The short version of *that* story ... newly graduated from that same law school (yes, it took me six years), standing outside a hotel in downtown Chicago, watching Grand Avenue choked with non-stop traffic as the loop evacuated for fear that they were next ... barely in town in order to start the Chicago chapter of life, hoping to find an apartment and a job (and actually just lucky to land an apartment [finding a job took six more weeks]) ... and then heading inside to watch hour upon hour of television (quite possibly the one and only time I was *grateful* for the 24 hour news cycle), trying to make sense of the new world order unfolding for all of us.

I have no photos of mine of 9.11.95 nor of 9.11.01 to share tonight ... but I do have this one previously posted (and relatively recently taken) from a late afternoon of retrospection at the flight 93 memorial in PA.  To me, it seems appropo for any 9.11 ... of any year ...

No comments:

Post a Comment