August 22, 2015

Random Soapbox for Saturday 8/22/15

I don't mean to go off on a rave here, but ...

... Danke Danke to the Sundance channel for putting my German degree to good use by airing the authentically German series Deutschalnd83.

I think I'm about halfway through the season (watching it on demand as I do before it expires), and it is very true that I rely heavily on the closed captioning, but it's still nice to hear the language again on a regular basis.

The story has an East German boy crossing the border to serve as a spy, and it shares an anxiety about how the Cold War could have meant that Germany would have been ground zero in any nuclear conflict that is familiar from my studies ... and my semester abroad there.  Even better, one of the characters is in a commune in Koln ... and I got to see the train station that I used each day to get back and forth to my host family across the Rhine in BergischGladbach.

It is amazing to me that, just seven years after the drama that is captured in the series, I was there in 1990 skipping school for a day to hightail it to Bonn when Gorbachev came to town ... and chopping off my own piece of a "deconstructed" Berlin Wall when our student cohort did a field trip to that city.

And if nothing else ... it has an amazing soundtrack for any child of the 80's like myself!  Sehr toll!

THE MANY MANY DEFINITIONS OF TOLL:
http://mymemory.translated.net/en/German/English/sehr-toll

FIND IT ... WATCH IT!:
http://www.sundance.tv/series/deutschland-83

I REMEMBER *THIS* HANGING ON SOMEONE'S WALL WHEN I WAS THERE IN '90:
http://www.zombietime.com/zomblog/?p=504

No comments:

Post a Comment