June 23, 2015

Random Tune for Tuesday 6/23/15

It's time for another occasional series ... this one called Discarded Cassettes (which I sincerely hope is an eighties covers band performing somewhere in America tonight).

An important disclaimer ... although it is true that I am discarding the cassette seen in the accompanying image, please know that it is NOT a protest of any kind.  Instead, it represents the fact that I have *finally* gotten around to comparing the college era cassette collection with the post-college era CD collection, and I'm getting rid of the duplicates.

So ... until that project is complete, and subject to a week off here and there ... tonight's the first in a new series for my Tuesday tunes.  The rule is as follows:  I will select one song off of each discarded cassette as I discard them.  For me, for this particular album, it was the haunting "Behind the Wall" and it's layered messaging about domestic violence and the consequences of inaction (from multiple sides of the issue) that stuck with me the most from Tracy Chapman's self-titled debut album (which I'm lucky enough to still have on CD!).

Kicking off this new series with a downer, no?  Oh well ... there will be happier tunes in the weeks ahead ...

THEN A SILENCE THAT CHILLED MY SOUL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRf7xjdfMfM

No comments:

Post a Comment