May 2, 2015

Random Soapbox for Saturday 5/2/15

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... here's what I *think* I know about the recent developments in Baltimore.

By the way, as I always do of late when weighing in on these types of issues, I use the qualifier *think* before the phrase "I know", because, ironically, there's little that's black and white about the issues of racial inequality between black and white (and the browns ... I'm not trying to forget the browns ... but, let's face it ... they have taken the back burner of late, unless/until immigration reform takes center stage again ...)

AND also because the matured Billy Joel gets it spot-on about how aging has affected my take on things of this nature:

Now with the wisdom of years I try to reason things out
And the only people I fear are those who never have doubts
Save us all from arrogant men, and all the causes they're for
I won't be righteous again
I'm not that sure anymore 

Of course, that means I have to wonder "who am I?" to even offer commentary in the first place.  Sure -- I tend to watch documentaries on PBS during Black History Month (what can I say ... there's just something about the way that Henry Louis Gates, Jr puts things in perspective as a modern day story teller), but I can't speak to what it's like to be faced with the unique challenges and obstacles growing up in a world that constantly reminds you that you are a minority.  I can't relate to having generations that are still alive that can tell tales of a recent time when bigotry and hatred and fear of those unlike you led to uprisings -- some peaceful, some with bloodshed -- all painful.  I don't carry the weight of hundreds of years of unequal treatment on my shoulders.

Basically -- I'm not of that community.  Yes, I know, I know.  We are the world.  We're all in this together.  It takes a village.  The future is color-blind.  I understand the ideals to which we all strive to make a more perfect world.  But I put those goals in the "man's reach should exceed his grasp or what's a heaven for" category ... and I think the string of these hot-button occurrences require us to be grounded a touch more in reality over ideality.

To be consistent with past times I've attempted to process these news stories, I do think the reality of moving forward with a solution does start first within that community.  Which is something Baltimore seems to have in spades (and I'm using that in the classic idiom way, not the urban dictionary way), based on the stories that filtered out once the "shocking riots and fires and looting" photos faded from press coverage.  In my opinion, that's how it *should* be.  Religious leaders, parents, educators, government officials ... working together to keep the potential to slip into complete anarchy to a minimum.  (And I also stand by my frequent chastising of the 24 hour news talking heads, who would do the future a favor by learning to shut the hell up about most matters.  Blathering blowhards across the political spectrum exacerbate issues, and their talking points distract and divert conversation and action away from progress.)

Speaking of which, a pause seems appropriate here to celebrate Toya Graham, and her instinct to slap some sense into her rock-wielding boy ... I *am* of the school that values what the National Guard accomplishes in these scenarios (I'm not beyond them rolling into my home-before-this-one of Chicago once the temperatures warm and the annual killing sprees start there), but I also think we learned that there could be tremendous value in deputizing the slapping mother squadron in future uprisings.

By the way, for balance, let me also say that I understand that the modern day policeperson's job is tremendously stressful, and that a thug culture has taken over many of the youth (and so long as there are "aspirational" figures cloaked in thuggery and hashtags promoting #thuglife, I will reject the notion that the t-word is the new n-word, and continue to use it descriptively as appropriate.  I blame the rising cache of "swagger" that has permeated too many nooks and crannies of everyday life, but that's another post for another day.)  I also applaud the fact that Madame Baltimore Mayor said today that the initiative to bust the rioters and the firestarters and the looters is underway.  I am skeptical of attempts to recast those crimes as free speech and acceptable activity.  In my opinion, we all could use a bit more accountability in our lives, and I'm particular concerned about a youth culture that is quick to play victim or disassociate from their deeds when those actions tend toward the extreme.  (I know, I know ... this old grumpy man thinks videogaming is likely to blame ... shocker, right?)

What I want more than anything -- even the aforementioned SMS (slapping mother squadron) -- is for the discussion to focus on concrete steps that can be taken toward that idealized future.  Where are the specific actionable items?  Let's prioritize funding for police cameras as we did during the "community policing" initiatives in the past.  Let's explore what living wages mean .. and let's find compromise (I know, I know ... that's a dirty word in today's intractable TeaParty vs Liberal political climate) ... because it is compromise that is needed when it comes to welfare reform and prison reform and educational system reform.  Let's stop making all governmental decisions with an eye toward the next political race, and return to the past glory of federalism where states experimented with policy and the best of the best rose to the top to be applied nationwide (instead of the propensity for wallowing in deadlock that has paralyzed progress to kick off this century).

And until that happens, let's use these events as a call to action for each of us to search our souls, to understand our biases, to continue the conversation and to consider how it is to walk in the shoes of others (whether thug, community member trying to rise above, policeperson, government official, or outsider) before rushing to judgment.

Let's engage now or watch our cities burn later.

MLK: "CONSTRUCTIVE SOCIAL CHANGE WILL BRING CERTAIN TRANQUILITY":
http://nursingclio.org/2014/09/16/learning-from-lyndon-how-america-should-respond-to-ferguson/

A DIFFERENT TAKE ON THE SLAPPING MOTHER:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/lonnae-oneal-the-baltimore-mom-slaps-her-son-for-the-ages/2015/04/30/5103d25a-ef49-11e4-a55f-38924fca94f9_story.html

ACTION STEP ONE:  EXPLORE BIAS (WHAT IT IS and WHAT IT DOES):
http://www.nationaljournal.com/magazine/beyond-dialogue-what-we-can-do-about-race-and-the-police-20140905

No comments:

Post a Comment