April 8, 2015

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 4/8/15

Baseball Threeway.

Used in a sentence:  "I wanted to contribute to all the burst of activity on the social media sites regarding opening day and what-not ... but I wanted to do it *my* way, so I figured it was time to discuss a baseball threeway."

First, to those who just jumped into the gutter, get out of it.  I'm not talking about some scandalous sexual act with the players.

Second, being relocated to southern Florida as I am, I've discovered the main season isn't discussed so much (I guess all the focus is on the spring training timeframe instead).  Sure ... there's the Marlins in Miami ... but as a transplant from the northside of Chicago, that team was dead to me once they hired loudmouth Ozzie G (and they stay dead despite having had the good sense to fire him after just one season).  And then there's some team in Tampa Bay ... but Tampa's farther away than one may realize (Florida is BIG, yo!)

Third, and to my original point, I wonder why they don't have any more threeway games like they used to.  Never heard of the baseball threeway game?  Neither did I until I saw a History channel "documentary" (airquotes fully intended as they seem to have recently diluted their brand) about "WWII from space" ... which is what introduced me to the actual game played back in 1944 to raise money for the war.  Who knew that was even a thing ... but I have a feeling I'd watch (which would make me a baseball threeway voyeur, I guess)!

THE TALE OF THE BASEBALL THREEWAY:
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/22466897/just-because-june-26-1944-dodgers-vs-yankees-vs-giants

MARLINS ... MEH ... BUT I KNOW THEY DID THE RIGHT THING HERE:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8543189/ozzie-guillen-fired-manager-miami-marlins

THIS SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING I'D "CELEBRATE":
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25139312/this-week-in-dumb-baseball-ballparks-fail-on-opening-day

No comments:

Post a Comment