March 30, 2015

Random Memorial for Monday 3/30/15

Gone but not forgotten:  the meltdown at TMI.

The anniversary date just passed this weekend (as the crisis occurred on 3.28.79), and so it did make me stop and remember a few things.

For instance, I'm pretty sure that the event was just a few weeks after my father married wife #4 (the evil stepmother featured in many of my posts) ... which maybe should have been a sign that the universe didn't approve of the union.

I also know that, at the young age of seven and being outside of the evacuation zone, I actually don't necessarily have any specific memories to recall about "the day of".  Perhaps my older siblings know more (especially the twins, as that was also a birthday for them) ... but I'm thinking we were living "safely" in Jonestown, and so the news was being watched more closely ... but no action was being taken.  That contrasts with my Indiana family, who then lived more so in the shadows of the reactors, and who do have stories of hightailing it out of the Harrisburg area (so I can live vicariously through them).

By the way, I also *also* know that I *was* outside of the evacuation zone because there was always a multi-page spread in the local phone book each year (kids ... you might have to google that if you don't understand).  That's the photo from the 1997 phone book (which I still have ... because it was the last local Lebanon phone book I had before moving out of the area and because I'm an apprentice hoarder).

Local crisis that made national news (but that sadly didn't attract Jane Fonda or Michael Douglas or Jack Lemmon to report on it), you will not be missed.

THIS YEAR'S "LOOK-BACK":
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2015/03/three_mile_island_-_days_of_cr.html#0

THE NUCLEAR AGENCY OPINION REGARDING AFTER-EFFECTS:
http://www.nei.org/master-document-folder/backgrounders/fact-sheets/the-tmi-2-accident-its-impact-its-lessons

A LESS BIASED OPINION (STILL INCONCLUSIVE):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18300710

No comments:

Post a Comment