February 1, 2015

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 2/1/15

What New York is talking about this week:

Well ... not me, that's for sure.  Despite how I've been talking about it since arriving here for the annual "chasing the Super Bowl tradition" (off to Phoenix at this time next year).

I know it may not be the most PC thing to say, but I'm not so sure that I love NY like everyone is supposed to.  And it's not just about not liking big city living, seeing as how I lived the heck out Chicago for over a dozen years quite recently.  Although maybe Chicago spoiled me.  What can I say ... I like order, and NY wears its chaos as its swagger.

It's exhausting to have to approach every intersection with the care and caution normally reserved for def-con level threat analysis.  Oh sure they have their little blinking white men signs, but no one pays attention to them (maybe because there are so few white men on the streets?).  On multiple occasions this trip, I actually heard the taxi cab gunning for the pedestrians who dared be in the street.

I like my horns in sections backing up Bruno Mars or James Brown ... instead of honked incessantly (usually at those same pedestrians mentioned above).

I like my trash tidied up in buckets and dumpsters and not thrown in bags covering 85% of the sidewalk.

I think addresses should be at a place and not between two places.  And distances between avenues shouldn't be ten times the distances between streets.

I'm saddened by the fact that the homeless seem homeless-ier, and old people seem older, and lonely people seem lonelier ... and that the eyes of so many passers-by seem so dead.

I like subtlety and do not feel like one should be obligated to say the first thing that one thinks.

I like my drinks supersized.

I like my money, the little bit that I have, and it disappears so quickly here.  So so quickly.

And above all else, I'm a quiet talker and I like to mosey ... and New York doesn't permit me to do either.  So thank you for your hospitality on this fourth trip (the first three were primarily for work, so I didn't have as much time to analyze), but (triple negative alert ['cause that's also how I roll]) I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say that I just don't plan to rush back any time soon.

GET YOUR DEFCON LEVEL RIGHT:
http://www.wikihow.com/Understand-the-Defcon-Scale

IF YOU DON'T LIKE NY, THEN YOU DON'T HAVE TO STAY:
http://www.bkmag.com/2014/02/07/if-you-dont-like-new-york-you-dont-have-to-stay/

HOW THE WHOLE LOVING NEW YORK THING STARTED:
http://www.logoworks.com/blog/a-brief-history-of-the-i-love-new-york-logo/




No comments:

Post a Comment