January 7, 2015

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 1/7/15

What is it with you kids nowadays -- turn(t) ups are vegetables.

Used in a sentence:  As overherrr'd on the second episode of BET's 'Nellyville', "What is it with you kids nowadays -- turn(t) ups are vegetables!"

First, yes, I watch 'Nellyville'.  And 'Sauve Says' on VH1.  And not just because I'm currently on my third day of unemployment.  I kind of like feeling old, seeing the musicians of my youth all grown up with kids of their own.

And, with regards to the show featuring Nelly and his brood, I'm a sucker for any kind of nontraditional family (he took in his sister's two kids when his sister died young).  I also happen to be fond of country grammar (and shocked at how many words can be slurred to add the "herrrr" sound) and the fact that I can like his music without having to choose between the east and west coast rap legacies.  He's just a nice midwestern boy who has collaborated across musical genres with multiple country acts.

Plus -- he really loves his family, as seen on the show.  The same show where he mocked the kids and their insistence on getting all "turnt up" all the time -- hence the quote, which, thanks to the way that country grammar affects pronunciation, was probably much funnier said aloud than read in print.

GUILTY PLEASURE NUMBER ONE:
http://www.bet.com/shows/nellyville.html

GUILTY PLEASURE NUMBER TWO:
http://www.vh1.com/shows/suave-says/

A GUIDE TO FINDING OUT IF YOU ARE TURNT UP OR DOWN:
http://www.manrepeller.com/2014/05/turnt-up-turned-down-a-guide.html


No comments:

Post a Comment