November 29, 2014

Random Soapbox for Saturday 11/29/14

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!

Admittedly, that wasn't the most articulate rant I've ever offered from on top of my weekly soapbox, but some things are so so wrong that it renders a person nearly speechless.

In case you haven't heard, the town of Tuszyn in Poland was debating what might possibly be the "face" of one of their new playgrounds and they passed on Pooh because "his genitals were removed and his being only shirtless is inappropriate for children" and another said that "he doesn't wear underpants because he's a hermaphrodite".  (Which, I'm pretty sure are opposite statements, as my limited understanding of hermaphrodites is that they have BOTH sets of genitals [not that there's anything wrong with that].)

The first lady referenced above apparently went on to describe a genital mutilation backstory involving razor blades and testicles ... which I have to say wasn't covered in any of the Pooh literature and memorabilia that I collect (because I'm a fan, and have been since my childhood, when my exaggerated sense of uniqueness was cultivated by being told over and over again that "the wonderful thing about tiggers is tiggers are wonderful things ... and that I was a tigger, through and through [apparently, because my bottom is made of springs?]).

I'd dismiss the whole thing as the conclusions of random uninformed crazies ... (like maybe there was something lost in translation and the poor bear came across with a scatological fetish in their actual language?) ... but then again, we did have a similar problem here in the US a few years back when Jerry and Pat got all jealous of one of the Teletubbie's sartorial choices that they were convinced was gaying a whole generation.  (Look boys ... if you want your own pretty purple purse ... or fanny pack ... or whatevs ... just get yourself one!  Silly jealous coveting extremists!)  Point being ... we're not exempt from random uniformed crazies on our side of the world either.

But again ... to this whole revisionist history of Pooh ... I say ... no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!

AN EVEN BETTER RESPONSE TO THE SITUATION:
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/lessons-we-learned-from-winnie-the-pooh/story-fnet085v-1227139702447

JABBA THE HUT:  A HERMAPHRODITE (AND NOT A SPONSOR OF A PLAYGROUND):
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/top-10-hermaphrodite-facts-and-famous-790403

SPEAKING OF BANNED CARTOONS:
http://www.yourtv.com.au/slideshow/93559/top-10-banned-cartoons.slideshow

No comments:

Post a Comment