October 20, 2014

Random Memorial for Monday 10/20/14

Gone but not forgotten:  the places that the Neidermyer family would gather for meals after major events.

While I was home on this past trip (central PA "home" ... not Chicago "home" -- that journey is next July), I was dismayed to see that the little restaurant that was at the corner of the main intersection of Brownstown (the only intersection?) was gone ... nothing but a paved parking lot.  I almost thought I was in the wrong place, but was still able to find the church my grandparents attended (which is where they are buried) despite not having that landmark.

Then, while driving from Brownstown to the other side of Ephrata to get my Green Dragon on, I saw that the Akron Restaurant was for sale.  Researching a bit on Yelp, it seems like the place has been closed for awhile (and also that the lady who complained that "chipster waflles" weren't made with chocolate chips and instead were made of chipped beef clearly didn't do her research as to what to expect).

Eating establishments that fed the lot of us after ... well ... mostly funerals I suppose ... you will be missed (mostly because I now know you're not there).

THEY FORGOT TO TAKE DOWN THE WEBSITE:
http://www.theakronrestaurant.com/index.htm

NOT LIKED SO MUCH ON THE YELP:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-akron-restaurant-bakery-and-french-toast-factory-akron

NOW BROWNSTOWN ONLY HAS ONE OPTION LEFT:
http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=restaurants&find_loc=Brownstown%2C+PA

No comments:

Post a Comment