September 7, 2014

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 9/7/14

What southern Florida is talking about this week:

K I L L E R  C A T E R P I L L A R S!

Okay ... okay ... maybe it's not quite a situation deserving of a Roger Corman film ... and apparently they are more a bit poisonous in an extreme nuisance kind of way instead of being lethal ... but still, it's one more thing regarding my new environs about which I must be aware.

According to the story, the fluffy fur of the puss caterpillar "breaks off", and the spines feel like a "bee sting times a hundred".  And ... they are only one type of FOUR poisonous caterpillars in the area.  Silly me ... I thought it was the gators about which I was supposed to be worried!

Thanks again to former co-worker of mine from Rite Aid during my time in Harrisburg, Joyce R, who alerted me (and the puppy dogs) to the potential danger (which, I'll admit, I thought was a fake internet story until I checked it out and saw the local news covered it as well -- no offense, Joyce, it's just the internet being the internet and all ...)

Bottom line ... beware the puss!

OH YEAH IT'S REAL 'CAUSE IT'S ON THE NEWS AND NOT JUST THE INTERWEBS:
http://www.wfla.com/story/26430677/beware-of-venomous-puss-caterpillars-found-in-florida

AND THERE'S NOT JUST ONE BUT FOUR KINDS:
http://www.care2.com/causes/4-venomous-caterpillars-flourishing-in-florida-video-slideshow.html

I'M BEGINNING TO THINK JABBERWOCKY WAS INSPIRED BY LIFE IN FLORIDA:
http://www.jabberwocky.com/carroll/jabber/jabberwocky.html

No comments:

Post a Comment