September 15, 2014

Random Memorial for Monday 9/15/14

Gone but not forgotten (if only for just a week):  the Green Dragon.

According to the interwebs, the market outside of Ephrata will be back and open on Sep 26th (selfishly, two full weeks before I'll be visiting on the 10th of Oct, which makes me happy) ... taking just one Friday off to recover from the fire that ripped through it this past weekend.

I feel personally connected to the market, not just by legacy (my biological father and two of his brothers all had stands there at the same time in the same building for quite a few years [you could pick up home made horseradish and home grown celery from Paul, chicken and such from Jimmy and toy trains and Rawleigh products from Ralph]), but also because it was one of my first official jobs (not counting the child-labor that my father's wife-of-the-moment orchestrated at the community magazine print shop or the pig farm [yes ... I said pig farm]) when I worked for Owen Landis' auction house there each Friday night (and on Tuesdays at Roots as well).

Location where I'll soon pick up my Raub's sub and Zerbe's chips and PA Dutch birch beer and Amish peanut butter ice cream and authentic pumpkin whoopie pies ... you will be missed (if only for just one week).

VIEW THE DAMAGE AND SEE THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE REOPENING:
http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/new-building-in-plans-for-green-dragon-market-re-opening/article_f7259cb4-3cec-11e4-a579-0017a43b2370.html

IS IT OCTOBER 10TH YET?:
https://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/143910/mini-pumpkin-whoopie-pies/detail.aspx

THERE'S ALWAYS ROOTS IN MANHEIM TO TIDE YOU OVER:
http://www.rootsmarket.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment