September 20, 2014

Bonus Post: Fond Memory 5 (LHS Quadranscentennial Celebration Edition)

Fond Memory 5
on this, the Quadranscentennial Celebration of 
my Lebanon High School Graduation: 

20 days to go until the big reunion weekend (time to start thinking about what to pack for the trip!), which means I'm up to the fond memory number five of my years in high school.

Oddly enough, it is the roughly 45 minute walk to and from the high school each day.  Let's face it ... except for the very very beginning of my education (i.e.  my dad's brief marriage to the lady in Elverson, which meant a bus ride with the little red headed girl Margot to kindergarten) and the very very end (when my sister was driving me to school in the morning and when I was sneaking out on Friday afternoons to get a ride to the Methodist church I was attending where I was publishing a monthly newsletter) ... I was a *walker* (uphill, both ways, etc etc).

Of course, I did have to pass the time with myself for those periods each day ... so I distinctly remember using that time to host my own talk show in my head (I was a creative [and lonely] child after all).  That was until I learned that I could master the art of reading whilst walking.  So that's what I did ... in the streets of Lebanon PA ... finding a path that would put me in the least amount of harm ... learning how to read the page AND be aware of the upcoming intersection (or the tree root that was buckling the sidewalk in front of me).

In a way, it was the original "pay attention to where you're going and stop looking at your phone" trend (years before kids were given such toys).  And, thankfully, I survived to write these posts 25 years later.

Fond memory number 4 ... to be posted this Wed the 24th!



No comments:

Post a Comment