July 19, 2014

Random Soapbox for Saturday 7/19/14

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... dear check out girl at the local WinnDixie:

Allow me to introduce you to what my generation calls a TV Guide.

Because, after all, I don't think that any customer of a certain age should have to deal with the dumbfounded look that you offered in reply to my asking of where I could find the latest issue of said magazine.

After staring at me for ten seconds longer than you should have, you finally summoned the words, "I don't know what you're talking about" and shrugged your shoulders.  Unbeknownst to you, I have a television addiction, and so I get that you were surprised when I didn't accept that as a response and queried again, a little more insistently, "No, no ... where are your TV Guides?"

Clearly confused that we were still conversing about this mystery item, your reply was classic:  "I didn't even know we made any.  Did you check over there?"  Once I realized yourwere gesturing toward the rack near the doors that held the WinnDixie weekly circulars, I then quickly established that you had focused on the word "your" in my follow up inquiry.

So then I had to backpedal and explain that this magical TV Guide of which I spoke was *not* a WinnDixie publication, but was, indeed, a national weekly magazine (well, it used to be weekly ... since I've gotten older, they've gotten cheaper and now almost every issues is a "special" edition that covers two weeks at a time).  Which, of course, helped me understand that this mission needed to be aborted.

"I'm sorry", I said.  "I forgot that your generation has redefined viewing ... and that you Hulu or Netflix or cut-your-cords ... and that you have no need for a periodical that permits one to plot out one's viewing plans.  Never mind."

And so *that*, dear reader (especially considering my *other* TV Guide disaster from earlier this summer), is why I FINALLY decided to renew my subscription to the magazine so that I needn't deal with the stress of trying to locate each issue each week (I mean each "every other week").

THE GIRL IN THE IMAGE IS FROM THIS ADVERTISEMENT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH7qE7mFoMU

OH WINN DIXIE, AT LEAST YOU CARRY LEBANON BOLOGNA:
https://www.winndixie.com/Pages/Home.aspx

MY *OTHER* TV GUIDE FLORIDA DISASTER:
http://capcognition.blogspot.com/2014/06/random-soapbox-for-saturday-6714.html


No comments:

Post a Comment