July 22, 2014

Bonus Post: Fond Memory 20 (LHS Quadranscentennial Celebration Edition)

Fond Memory 20 
on this, the Quadranscentennial Celebration of 
my Lebanon High School Graduation:

[note:  I'm *almost* back on track with my countdown timeline that went all asunder when I was traveling for work this month ... here's the post that should have been on the 22nd, when there were just 80 days until this fall's 25th reunion extravaganza ... additional note:  have you made your travel plans yet?]

Since the last memory was of using typewriters in an actual class for which we got some kind of grade (pass/fail as I recall), I wanted to clarify that I'm old, but not *that old*, since I do have memories of using computers in high school.

Sure, we all learned the language of BASIC early on (if only so that we could make the computer screen fill up with "my name is Troy" repeatedly) ... but, by my senior year in 88-89, I was lucky enough to learn PASCAL.  The image accompanying this post ... actual homework assignments from that class that I dug up tonight (maintaining a good filing system does not necessarily make you a hoarder, right?).  What I love most about these four examples, and PASCAL in general, is that there was a "notes" section at the top where one could place descriptive non-command lines of programming ... and reviewing mine illustrates that I've been a smart ass since *at least* high school (some of the comments appear to be inside jokes for the benefit of my teacher, Mr. Miller).

Most importantly, I am young enough to have had computers in my high school education.  *That's* my main point with this fond memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment