June 10, 2014

Random Tune for Tuesday 6/10/14

And ... week 2 of Billy Joel month!

Why, might you ask?  Well, kind of just because I said so.

[And also because I found the all-Billy-Joel satellite radio station on a recent trip, and listening to it filled my noggin with all kinds of memories.]

Including this tune, the anthem of my youth.  As a late bloomer with a fierce independent streak, I had a decade after high school where I went non stop taking in all kinds of experiences, crazy ambitious for a juvenile, always in a hurry, doing so much in the few hours in a day, pushing life to the borderline, so ahead of myself that I forgot what I needed -- all the lyrical phrases in the song were on point.

But I can distinctly remember blasting this song on the car radio, often late at night/early in the morning as that's when I liked to travel back then, letting the words of Billy Joel remind me that I could afford to lose a day or two.  That I could dial it back ... that I could make decisions with an eye toward my long term happiness and not just about the moment ... but that I also didn't have to constantly be executing on a five year plan (so communist of me, anyway, no?) ...

And the ultimate epiphany ... that I could get what I truly wanted or I could just get old.  I chose going after what I wanted.  And I couldn't be more pleased in the decisions I've made ... that have led me every closer to my Vienna.  Yes, indeed, dream on but don't imagine they'll all come true ... when will you realize ... Vienna waits for you!

DON'T YOU KNOW THAT ONLY FOOLS ARE SATISFIED:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZdiXvDU4P0&feature=kp

No comments:

Post a Comment